Hot Posts

6/recent/ticker-posts

Criticising Israel doesn’t mean we are antisemitic | Letters

Readers respond to an article by Jonathan Freedland about antisemitism in Britain in relation to Israel’s war on Hamas

I read and carefully reread Jonathan Freedland’s column (Those who attack Jews in the UK are not striking a blow for Palestine: they are behaving as antisemites always have, 16 February). I always do. He is one of the most thoughtful and perceptive columnists around, but in this column he seems to me – and I apologise if I have misunderstood him – to suggest that it is virtually impossible for me, a liberal-minded non-Jew, to say publicly that the current policy of the Israeli government and actions of the Israeli Defense Forces make me sick to my stomach, without being antisemitic. As, of course, did the actions of Hamas on 7 October.

I understand his point that the one can lead to the other; that the damning of Israel’s politics and policies sits alongside racism. But it is not the same thing. While the dividing line is thin, it does exist. And if it is not maintained, how do people like me express honestly held views? I would never do anything to harm or to insult a Jewish person or institution in this country as a means of expressing my contempt for and rage over the actions of Benjamin Netanyahu and his far-right coalition.

Continue reading...

Post a Comment

0 Comments