Hot Posts

6/recent/ticker-posts

‘It was a true privilege to witness his talent firsthand’: readers on James Earl Jones

From memorable meetings to seeing him on stage, and learning late that he had voiced Darth Vader, Guardian readers remember a great and generous actor

James Earl Jones: a life in pictures
Peter Bradshaw on a magisterial star who inspired love and respect

I got to meet James Earl Jones in 2010 for a moment after seeing the play Cat on a Hot Tin Roof at the Novello theatre in London. It was an all-black cast with James Earl Jones, Phylicia Rashad as well as Sanaa Lathan and Adrian Lester. It was quite the experience, especially as a black woman. I was a fan of James Earl Jones because of Coming to America, and Roots, so seeing him in the flesh and being able to say hello and tell him and how much I loved the play was exciting. I didn’t want anything signed, but told him how much Roots had impacted me as a little black girl growing up in France and how funny he was in Coming to America. He was so kind and gentle. People were waiting for him to sign things and I didn’t understand why he would sign Darth Vader’s pictures. It is the night I discovered that he was the voice of Darth Vader and Mufasa!

Continue reading...

Post a Comment

0 Comments