Hot Posts

6/recent/ticker-posts

Furniture to assemble? There’s an app for that – because no one wants to do anything for themselves any more | Rachel Connolly

We can now endlessly outsource our small tasks, from shopping to DIY. But I really would rather do them myself

A few months ago I saw an excellent fight at my local jeweller. The owners, as well as much of the clientele, are big characters. Spats often break out. This time a customer demanded a written statement that the necklace she had brought in would be stored in a safe. The jeweller told her they don’t provide this, and so the customer grew irate. “You don’t trust me, is that it?” said the jeweller. The woman protested: she did! The jeweller had been highly recommended. “So you know who you’re dealing with then,” said the jeweller, proudly. The woman handed over her necklace.

It was a brilliant spectacle. I wanted to cheer. Instead I asked to see the gold chains (I like the ceremony of seeing them displayed on a velvet cushion). I actually don’t buy jewellery very often, but I stop in fairly regularly for minor repairs, to have links taken out or clasps fixed – and for scenes such as this.

Rachel Connolly is a writer and author of the novel Lazy City

Continue reading...

Post a Comment

0 Comments